Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cottage Cheese Casserole

A comforting one-dish meal.



1/4 of a head of cabbage, thickly sliced
6 ounces of whole wheat yolkless egg noodles
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
3/4 cup egg-substitute
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup fat free grated cheese
cooking spray















Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Boil cabbage, covered until soft. Add noodles, cook for 5 minutes. After one minute, add broccoli and carrots. 















Drain.
















In large bowl, mix cottage cheese, egg substitute, milk, sour cream, salt, caraway seeds, thyme, and pepper.
















Add cooked noodles and veggies to cheese mixture. Stir.
















Pour mixture into greased casserole dish. 
















Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
















Cover and bake for 45 minutes.

How was it?

Okay, okay--fat free meals are really bland. I GET IT, ALRIGHT?! But I feel better about eating them. And that way I can eat the fat elsewhere during the day. But my nutritionist wants me to stop "fearing fat." BUT MY BODY IS GETTING FATTER--not necessarily in size (although weigh what I used to before all of this eating disorder stuff started) but in composition. I have a nice coating of fat around my midsection. I HATE IT. So why add more fat to my diet? Argh...

Because the cottage cheese and cream were so bland, the caraway seed became an overpowering flavor.

*SIGH*

Socks...My mother's again. And those are her very worn out slippers.















Recipe adapted from Reader's Digest One Dish Meals The Easy Way

No comments:

Post a Comment