Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Whole Rye Bread

Most of the rye breads I find in the store are made with mostly all-purpose flour instead of rye flour. So I found this recipe in the bread book we have. Rye is one of the ancient grains and is very healthy for the body. It is high in fiber and nutrients.


1 package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 3/4 cups rye flour
cooking spray


Combine yeast, salt, and water in bowl. Add flour in three separate additions, stirring in between each addition. A wooden spoon works well.


Knead on a floured surface and shape into ball. Place into bowl coated with cooking spray. Roll ball around in order to covor in spray.

Covor with plastic wrap. Then covor with aluminum foil.


Let rest for 16-18 hours. Yeah, I didn't believe it at first either.


And I am not a very patient person. I let it sit for 16.5 hours.


Uncover. Nothing happened to the bread. Apparently that is normal for this recipe.... I punched it anyway. My knuckles hurt afterward.


Knead again on a floured surface. Spray loaf tin with cooking spray and fit dough into it. Cover. Place in oven with a pilot light in order to rise twice its size.

Again.... I didn't have enough patience. I let it rise for 4 hours. Not much rising action....


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 40-50 minutes.


How was it?

I need to work on my patience. I didn't let the dough rise enough, so my bread was extremely dense. And this made the rye flavor very strong.

Furthermore, I did not take any binge preventive measures. So I ate half the loaf on day one, and the second half on day two. At least it was not all in one day like last time.

*Sigh*

And my socks were relatively boring as well.... Just some stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment