Thursday, March 10, 2011

Olivescotch Brownies

What makes butterscotch brownies "butter"scotch? Because I used olive oil instead of butter.... Does that make these "olive"scotch brownies? 
I made these for my aunt's birthday party.


1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
butterscotch chips
cooking spray

 
In electric mixing bowl, mix brown sugar, olive oil, egg substitute, and vanilla.


 
In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. This step ensures that the baking soda and salt are evenly spread throughout the mixture.


Add to the moist mixture.
 

Add desired amount of butterscotch chips.



Coat 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread mixture onto pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
 

So......how'd it go?
Well, the brownies are very dense and earthy because of the whole wheat flour. They are not really "sweet"--even though I added real brown sugar.

According to my mother, it is the brown sugar that makes butterscotch "butter"y. So I guess I could still call these butterscotch brownies.

The only sweet flavor was from the butterscotch chips.

Socks for the day..... They look like shoes!!
 

Recipe adapted from the kitchen of Grandma Downing.

No comments:

Post a Comment