Monday, February 28, 2011

Gooey-Mess Cookies

Don't expect these semi-sweet bars to remain defined once they are cut out of the dish! I made these for the Academy Awards last night.


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil buttery spread
3/4 cup egg-substitute
1/2 cup sugar-substitute
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil buttery spread
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
white chocolate chips
sliced almonds














I originally planned to use dark corn syrup, but the bottle was unopened so I decided to use the already-opened bottle of light corn syrup instead. No nutritional differences. But my grandmother informed me that the light corn syrup has a "lighter" flavor. Which probably goes better with white chocolate and almonds. (The original recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate and pecans--so I think the switch to light corn syrup was a good one--even if unplanned.)














Combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup buttery spread in bowl. Mix until crumbly. I had to use my hands since the brown sugar I used was in hard chunks. The only negative was that I got buttery spread on my hair tie that was around my wrist.

Press into a greased baking pan. I used the buttery spread that was left in the measuring cup. Again I used my hands to spread it--since they were already covered in flour and butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 














Whisk egg-substitute, sugar substitute, corn syrup, buttery spread and vanilla in bowl. When I say whisk--I mean use a whisk--the knife wasn't getting the job done.














Add desired amount of white chocolate chips and almonds.














Pour over the baked crust. And please remember that the baking dish has been in a 350 degree oven--DO NOT grab it with bare hands--it hurts. And the liquid separates from the chocolate and almonds, so spread them out evenly on top of the crust. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.














When done remove from oven and allow to cool COMPLETELY. Why "completely" you ask--because when it first comes out, it looks like this:














Not good.

I didn't cut it until it looked like this:














And it was still gooey.

So how was it?

SOOOOO unhealthy for me! And I was at a party, so I ate a lot of them--along with other cookies. Blaaaahhh.

Definitely gooey. The crust only does a moderate job holding it together.

Semi-sweet. None of the flavors where too overwhelming. Which was nice because white chocolate is often too strong.

And for socks..... I know it is not St. Patrick's Day yet, but I couldn't resist--I was wearing green and these are my only green socks.


















Plus they go wonderfully with the shoes. Haha. Just kidding!

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home June/July 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment