Sunday, May 12, 2013

Too Many Voices?

I feel disjointed.

"Dream forward." "I can't dream forward--I only dream backward."

"If I were to make you in my image." "If I were to make myself in my own image."

"Jesus said to him, 'Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen yet have believed.' " "I am just like Thomas in my desire to experience God." "The real question is, why do we allow it? I think we allow it because we're so hungry for God, we're willing to do anything to experience him. It's not just fringe Christians. Islam has the whirling dervishes; Hindus chant mantras trying to reach nirvana. . . . Hunger for God is part of the human condition."

"I will stop comparing myself to other women."

"I prayed to God this evening. I haven't done that in years. . . . I'm not religious by any means and I have no idea if I was talking to air but it was a chance I needed to take."

"Listen to you: You would believe in your own legend."

"Is there a limit to what I can dream?"

"Maybe dreams aren't meant to come true."

"Are you going to let one man destroy your dreams?" "He is the only one who encourages me to dream. No one else does that." "God does. The real God. Not the one you have made up in your head."

"I'm so afraid that they are going to see right through me and say, 'You're a mess and a heretic.' "

"God, why are You so far away?" "It's your own fault, Jaime."

"Who says your world has been a fantasy? It seems like there is some truth to it."

"It is not a dream; it is a not-so-distant reality."

"If I keep them as dreams, then they will never become real."

"I still count you as one of my close friends." "I have no clue why."

"All it takes for meaningful friendship is 1) close enough proximity to do things together 2) informal and unplanned interaction and 3) an environment that encourages intimacy of ideas and feelings."

"Here we are sitting on the side of the road." "I sit on the side of the road a lot."

"I think you just gave me my thesis idea."

"I'm trying to argue for an artistic expression of the heart...through a scholastic endeavor."

"I'm extremely postmodern." "And that's not a bad thing." "But people tell me it's a bad thing." "It's because they are Christians. Christianity is stuck in the past."

"I feel like a heretic. I don't fit in." "I'm called a heretic all the time. It is actually where I want to be."

"I feel like it is my artistic side that makes me so postmodern." "So find a church that embraces art."

"It's so refreshing to talk to an intellectual. I don't get to do that very often. I feel like part of me is suppressed."

"If you are going to stay, then you need to figure out where you can get that fulfilled elsewhere. Which is not a problem--as long as you are both okay with it. Davis kind of destroys that."

"At its fundamentally flawed core, the aim of almost any learning program is to help us become who we are not."

"You cannot be anything you want to be--but you can be a lot more of who you already are."

"But I miss you!"

"We all have our own worlds. I have ------- Land, you have Cloud Jaime, and he has ------'s World."

"The weird thing is that our worlds are creepily similar, so we can understand each other."

"I wish I could figure out the root." "The root is deep; he won't even let me touch it. . . . I have my ideas as to what it is, but he won't let me touch it."

"Who has told you these things? I feel like it is just some vague conglomeration from your perception of the world."

"Turn out all thoughts of doubt and of trouble. Never tolerate them for one second. Bar the windows and doors of your soul against them as you would bar your home against a thief who would steal in to take your treasures. What greater treasures can you have than Peace and Rest and Joy? And these are all stolen from you by doubt and fear and despair. Face each day with Love and Laughter. Face the storm. Joy, Peace, Love, My great gifts. Follow Me to find all three. I want you to feel the thrill of protection and safety now. Any soul can feel this in a harbor, but real joy and victory come to those alone who sense these when they ride a storm. Say, 'All is well.' Say it not as a vain repetition. Use it as you use a healing balm for cut or wound, until the poison is drawn out; then, until the sore is healed; then, until the thrill of fresh life floods your being. All is well." "I am filled with doubt and trouble. I am constantly allowing myself to be robbed of Peace, Rest, and Joy. I rarely Love and Laugh. My life has been a constant search for protection and safety. I have been hiding in a harbor. I cannot even say, 'All is well.'"

"I am avoiding my mother because I can't handle my step-father. I am avoiding my church because I can't handle my step-father."

"I need to be late to church today so that I can just slip in the back and just....be."

"We want to leave a legacy . . . but something happens when we grow up . . . and the dreams die . . .  but those dreams were not young naivety . . . they were/are part of who we were made to be."

"This is not a sermon. Is it okay for me to be here? But this is exactly what I need to hear. I keep hearing exactly what I need to hear. As distant as I feel from God, He is using this church to walk along side of me."

"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.' " "Each of us is an idol of
.יהוהAn idol of a god 1) makes a relationship with that god possible and 2) does the work of that god on earth."
"For we are his workmanship, created in Chirst Jesus for good works [beautiful things], which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

"Remove from your vocabulary the phrase, 'I am just . . . ' "

"If you knew where I've been, you would understand why I needed to sit alone today."

"We can just avoid life altogether, or we can get it all out and say, '(Sigh) Life.' "

"You are doing well, I see. Or at least your smile says so." "Well . . . "

"I've drank water from sewers and gutters; too shameful to utter that You're not like the others."

"I just want to be free to be me. All of me."

"You are going to work for a guy who believes in you more than you believe in yourself." "Ditto."

"Supposedly you have a God who created you and knows everything about you; who wants to have a relationship with you." "How do you feel about that?" "I don't know; I haven't figured that out yet."

"Our relationship is crisis based. We only ever deal with our emotions, so there is no time for anything else."

"The more we talk about love, the less I think I actually love anyone."

"Have you ever tried?"

Where is the coherency?

No comments:

Post a Comment