Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fruitful Truth or Truthful Fruit

Interactions with the text of Galatians 5:13-26

Self-sacrifice leads to death;
death by choice,
as opposed to death by another.
One offers life on the other
side.

Even when I try,
I still find myself alive.
“Was I really seeking good
or just seeking attention?”

What is the line
between righteousness
and mercy?
Between idolatry
and love?
Between faithfulness
and dissensions?
Joy
and sensuality?
Patience
and impurity?
Division
and self-control?

It’s simple, you say.
God is the same, you say.
Grey is dangerous, you say.
Be careful of heresy, you say.

Is your God living?
Or is he dead?
Is your faith a mysterious wisp?
Or is it a block of gold to be guarded?

“If we live by the Spirit,
let us also walk by the Spirit.”

Does the Spirit have lines?
Tell me, can you point out his shape?

You can tell by the fruit, you say.
Look at love, you say.
Yes, but love of whom?
Have you loved to the point of death?
Is that even possible?
I still see you moving and breathing.

Maybe I should just let you devour me;
place me on the stake,
and allow the flames to consume
the heretic.

“For our God is a consuming fire.”
and yet, “When you walk through fire
you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.”
“For I the Lord do not change;
therefore you are not consumed.”

Grace.
God still loves the faithful
heretic.
Live free to love;
love of me,
and love of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment