Saturday, October 26, 2013

In the Eyes of the Beholder

I wanted to be someone
special,
unique,
important.
But how can you be
one
when surrounded by so many others?

You are a puzzle piece,
he told me.
But I looked at all the others.
We were are all the same;
splashes of disorganized color
and curvaceous edges.
Amoebic entities vying
for attention,
for definition,
for importance.

That means nothing,
I scowled.

You are mistaken,
he replied.
Your color scheme:
unique.
Your shape:
special.
Come and look,
he said.
He picked me up
and placed me
on his shoulder.
From there, I watched.

The puzzle pieces
were a cacophony
disaster;
yet he handled them each
with the care
and precision
of a masterful
conductor.
I watched
as each
specific
piece
was put in its place.
Slowly,
the picture began to form;
the harmony to ring.
And then he stopped.

It’s beautiful,
I said.
But—
But, what?
he asked.
There is a spot missing,
over on the side.
He stroked his beard in deep thought.
You are right,
he replied.
The picture is missing something.
Do you know what it is?
he asked.

I stared at the picture,
disheartened by its
incompleteness.
No,
I replied.
I do,
he said.
It’s you.
He picked me up
once more.
And placed me in a spot
my spot
the only spot
in which my colors
would blend
and my shape
would fit.
I could not see the whole
picture from this point of view.
But I could feel,
and I could hear
that it was beautiful

and it was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment