Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Flutter of Blue

I saw you hidden,
trembling,
in the green lush.
The attack
had passed;
and yet you sat,
still
in shock,
eyes half-shut.
I reached down,
and gently
picked you up.
Not a peep
did you sound,
as I cradled
you close.
Your small
claw wrapped
tightly,
reassuringly,
around my finger.
Now, there I was,
holding
you, comforting
you, not knowing
what to do next.
I gave you my warmth,
my comfort,
my love.
And yet, I knew
that would not be enough.
I heard your parents
calling
out to you.
You seemed not to hear,
yet I could not ignore.
I lifted you up
high
above my head;
your eyes remained shut.
I held you out
to your family;
your claw remained clenched.
I introduced you to the wind;
suddenly,
your head popped up,
your eyes were wide open,
your senses focused
on the call
of your parents.
Then you were gone.
I watched you go;
worried
for your future.
But knowing my time
was up.
God
whispered
in my ear:
“That moment
was for
you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment